Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Life is Life is Life is Life

Life Today
Today, I am living a life that has only proven itself to get better and better because of my higher power, who I choose to call God, and the program of A.A. I have not had to take a drink since Sept. 12, 2011 and each day that goes by without a drink, I am a winner. I am in my 3rd semester of college and maintaining a GPA of 3.7, I have become the President of my college's Human Services Club, and the woman who has been with me through the roughest times of my life, and now, has made a decision to allow me to be a permanent part of her life. We will be getting married on November 23, 2013. Yep just a few weeks away! I am so excited about this time in my life. These are all the awesome things that sobriety has allowed me to experience, but I cannot forget that God through A.A. has given me this gift. I hope that ALL people who suffer from this disease of addiction can eventually find their way to continued and sustained sobriety. I found myself watching a few videos on You Tube about the supposed cult of A.A. and all I could do is laugh at how these people just seemed to say words that they weren't even sure they believed. I am proud to acknowledge that I am an alcoholic/addict and I am powerless over my addiction, but my way of reaching sobriety is not the end all be all. The 12 steps work for me and may not work for others but my goal is to help others find their way to sobriety and not try to hinder them as these videos seemed to do. It burns me up to hear how people will actually go out and tell people not to believe a set of principles that may actually help them and then never offer any type of actual help for them to seek. If stopping on our own was as simple as some say then we probably would have stopped long before the "trouble" became too great(at least I would have). I pray that my words reach those they need to reach. No program or believe has the end all be all "cure" for the disease what we have is an opportunity to find something that works for each one of us one day at a time. Stay strong and seek sobriety as desperately as you would seek that next hit or drink. God Bless.
Jason B. sober in recovery since Sept. 12, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment